Have you overlooked video game music before?
You don’t have to look as far back as Beethoven to find some inspiring and relaxing music. Because video games have constantly been releasing stunning soundtracks for a long time now.
They are fundamental to enhance the game play and have that nostalgic quality we affectionately remember. So here’s my personal recommendations for the top 20 most relaxing gaming soundtracks that have subtly graced our screens and gave the us the chills.
You would certainly be a fool not to check some of these classics out!
20. Space Phase – Portal 2 http://youtu.be/zYVRvC4X03k
19.Forest of Hope – Pikmin http://youtu.be/sW0XNeTCIpw
18. Starlight Zone – Sonic the Hedgehog http://youtu.be/sMb-lBfVzP8
17. Fairy Fountain – Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time http://youtu.be/IrCGpPZ8CCE
16. Final Fantasy X – Tidus’ Theme http://youtu.be/2TGufXtkjSM
15. Select Theme – Star Fox 64 (When pressing start was actually enjoyable!)http://youtu.be/X8sEZTeReLs
14. Ezio’s Family – Assassin’s Creed 2 http://youtu.be/qfFvOt5GPr8
13. Son of the Nord – The Elder Scrolls V – Skyrim http://youtu.be/EtSvoN6g4RY
12. Astral Observatory – Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask http://youtu.be/s0krxH0dWhU
10. The Sunlit Earth – Shadow of the Colossus
Shadow of the Colossus was influential enough as it was without a wonderful soundtrack alongside it. The closing song captured the games’ essence stunningly well.
9. Title Theme Music – Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
What better way to introduce one of the best games of all time with an elegantly composed piece of genius that plays across the epic landscape of Hyrule and making ocarinas undeniably cool? An interesting mind-blowing fact – the Ocarina of Time melody and Super Mario Bros. 3 Warp Whistle both have the exact same starting melody. Mind-blowing, huh?
8. Atlantis – Banjo-Tooie
It’s definitely one of the best moments in the game when you release there’s a whole city you only just realised that existed underwater. Chills down the spine. Damn those pufferfish though…
7. Far Horizons – Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Step out into vast expanse of Skyrim and this song embodies the scale before you. It’s subtle parts combine with the majestic ones to create a piece that is ever-present in the background to remind you what a damn massive game you’re playing.
6. Surf Theme – Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow
Can you get any more nostalgic than this? I’m sure many of us remember encountering numerous armband-wearing trainers forcing us to fight and stopping this lulling track dead. Grr!
5. Still Alive – Mirror’s Edge
Sweedish popstars really seem to know what they’re doing. The piece finished the story with a beautifully uplifting composition sang by Lisa Miskovsky that summed up Faith’s ordeals exceptionally well.
4. Zora’s Domain – Twilight Princess
Zelda games really are the king of soundtracks. The ambient choirs behind the soft guitar really gives the song an almost hypnotic vibe. Just wonderful.
3. Phendrana Drafts – Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime was also about atmosphere and exploration. The serene snowy landscape and exquisite soundtrack really do lend itself to a brilliant level.
2. Dire Dire Docks – Super Mario 64
Water levels know the score when it comes to relaxing masterpieces. This surely should bring back fond memories of electric eels and sunken ships.
1. Rainbow Road – Mario Kart 64
Can anything match it for sheer charm and grandness, but all the while remaining such a chilled out classic? Reincarnated over various Mario Kart games, none of them come close to the N64 version, which was truly inspiring.
I don’t think you can fit all the awesome, relaxing themes into a list of 20. Which ones didn’t make the grade which should have? Speak your thoughts!